Frequently Asked Questions
Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers…
Who can enter the competition?
The competition is open to individuals and groups(art/film/drama/youth). You’ll have a chance to choose which one you’re entering when you submit your video. But here’s a bit more detail:
Two Age Categories:
- 8-12 years
- 13+ years
- Must be 8 years old or older at the time you enter the competition.
- Must be a legal resident of the Republic of Ireland.
- Must obtain a parent or legal guardian’s permission to participate if you’re under 16.
- Should the overall winner be an Individual Entrant; €500 will be awarded to the Individual Entrant themselves and €500 will be awarded to the Individual Entrant’s school.
- Open to any group such as youth, drama, video clubs, sports and community groups within the Republic of Ireland.
- If a youth/drama/film group wishes to partake as a “group”; they can. If they win the overall prize; they will be awarded the full €2,000.
- Similarly if a school wishes to enter as a group; they can. If they win the overall prize; they will be awarded the full €2,000
- Anyone appearing in the video who is under 16 years of age must provide you with their parent/guardian approval because your video will be viewable by the public.
- The prize will be awarded to the group named as the entrant.
- Previous groups that won in this competition can participate each year.
- Competition not open to colleges, universities, or institutions beyond secondary level.
What can I win?
- Overall winner will receive €2,000
- The winning video entry can be an individual a school or a youth group.
- Critics’ Choice Award will receive €1,000
- The judges will award this to an outstanding entry to recognise it for reasons that they will determine, depending on the entry itself.
- Each category winner will receive €500 as follows:
- Age 8-12 winner prize for Individual category – €500
- Age 8-12 winner prize for Group category winners – €500
- Age 8-12 winner prize for School category winners – €500
- Age 13+ winner prize for Individual category – €500
- Age 13+ winner prize for Group category winners – €500
- Age 13+ winner prize for School category winners – €500
Honourable Mentions: To be determined at the discretion of the judges
What should my video be about?
Your 2 minute video must answer this question: “How might new technology (or AI) help you in the future?”
New technology is the cool stuff that hasn’t been around forever – like smartphones, self-driving cars, or robots that can help you with tasks. AI, (or Artificial Intelligence), is like giving computers the ability to think and learn, just like humans. So many good things are possible because of the internet and all things tech. It’s useful for learning, entertaining, it connects us to others far away, it’s amazing! Yet, it’s not perfect, and if new technology (or AI) is used in the wrong way (irresponsibly), it may cause problems for others.
Below are some ideas to help you with your answer :
- Research online, explore and understand the possibilities of technology (or AI).
- Ask questions Can humans live in harmony with technology (or AI)? What impact is technology (or AI) having on human life?
- Listen to what’s being said in the media, and by experts about new technology, AI and the future.
- Talk to your friends, teacher(s) and to students in your class about technology and AI.
Let your imagination run wild because the future is yours to shape!
Once you have an answer, then tell us your story. Be funny. Be dramatic. Be creative. Whatever you do, be real.
Create a two-minute video answering our question for a chance to win one of our great prizes. Use live action, stop action, animation, original music, or none.
I have never made a video before, where do I start?
One of our Judges (Fis Film) has kindly shared great resources to help you get started!
You can also check out Digital Stories who share lots of tips for making a great video; with copyright free images and sounds available for you to use.
I need music and images for my video, so what’s okay to use?
Respecting copyrights and others, means that you need permission to use other people’s music, company/brand logos, images and photos. Below are some good sites that might be helpful for you.
- Bensound – popular royalty-free music site
- FreeSoundtrackMusic – most are free, but some are not
- Natentine – royalty free music, some free some are not
- Musopen – music whose copyright has expired. So mostly the music of classical composers.
- Unsplash – photos, mostly taken outdoors
- Realistic Shots – more photos, of many things
- Digital Stories – Sound Resources
What language can I use in my entry?
All video entries must be in the English or Irish language.
Top reasons to participate
- Get your film in front of an international panel of judges. It’s free to enter.
- Get seen – there are endless possibilities as to where your video could end up.
- Showcase your story-creation skills in a competition focused on shaping the way people use the Internet.
- Be in with a chance to win one of our many cash prizes!
- Be part of a really important cause.
How to get started
- Watch winning videos from past years to be inspired.
- Read through the competition rules to make sure you’re eligible.
- Think about the question we have asked you to answer. Research online to help you explore the possibilities and to help you decide your answer!
- Listen to what’s being said in the media, among your friends, and by experts about how people use the Internet. Can humans live in harmony with technology (or AI)? What impact is technology (or AI) having on human life?
- Talk to your friends about technology and AI.
- Plan out the video and make sure you address this year’s question. Videos will be judged on creativity, appropriateness and effectiveness.
- Decide your answer and start creating your video.
- Follow us on Facebook: TrendMicroEurope Instagram: @trendmicroiskfeurope Twitter @TrendISKF_IE and be part of the conversation using the hashtag #WYS2024
What should I upload?
Your video must be:
- your own original work
- submitted in one of the following formats: .wmv, .mov or .mp4
- a minimum of 30 seconds to a maximum of 2 minutes in length
- a maximum of 100 MB in size.
- respectful of copyrights and of others. Make sure you have permission to use other people’s music, company logos, images, or photos. For more tips on this, check out our Resources
I am a teacher/youth leader, can I upload multiple entries to the site?
Yes, you can upload a maximum of 30 entries per group.
I am a parent, can I upload multiple entries to the site?
Yes, you can upload a maximum of 3 entries.
What do I do after I upload my video ?
Once your video meets the rules of the competition, it will be approved and visible on the competition site. Your opinion matters! Remember, it’s not enough to just make a great film, it’s important to be an advocate of your own message too. Encourage your friends and family to check out your video. Great conversations will happen!
Really important: You have to be logged onto the website to comment on entries.
How will the video be judged?
Finalists and Winning videos will be selected by an independent panel of judges who will score each entry based on:
- Creativity: style, message delivery, Execution (50%)
- Appropriateness: on topic/theme (25%)
- Effectiveness: clarity of message, persuasiveness (25%)
When does the competition end?
You must submit your video by 11:59:59 PM GMT Jan 9th 2024.
How will I know if I’ve won anything?
You will be contacted on/after Feb 6th 2023 if you are a winner.
Who needs to register on the competition site?
Anyone can view videos during the competition, but if you want to enter the competition or comment on someone else’s video, you need to register on the site directly.
Who do I contact for help?
Have a question not answered here, or a comment about the website or competition? Contact us.
How To Enter
Follow these steps to compete in our competition
First check the rules to make sure that you are eligible to enter
Answer this question in a two minute video ‘How might new technology (or AI) help you in the future?‘
Register on the website and READ THE RULES before you get started
Stay calm and wait for the winners announcement!