Frequently Asked Questions
Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers…
Who can enter the competition?
The competition is open to individuals and groups(art/film/drama/youth). You’ll have a chance to choose which one you’re entering when you submit your video. But here’s a bit more detail:
Two Age Categories:
- 8-12 years
- 13+ years
- Must be 8 years old or older at the time you enter the competition.
- Must be a legal resident of the Republic of Ireland.
- Must obtain a parent or legal guardian’s permission to participate if you’re under 16.
- Should the overall winner be an Individual Entrant; €500 will be awarded to the Individual Entrant themselves and €500 will be awarded to the Individual Entrant’s school.
- Open to any group such as youth, drama, video clubs, sports and community groups within the Republic of Ireland.
- If a youth/drama/film group wishes to partake as a “group”; they can. If they win the overall prize; they will be awarded the full €2,000.
- Similarly if a school wishes to enter as a group; they can. If they win the overall prize; they will be awarded the full €2,000
- Anyone appearing in the video who is under 16 years of age must provide you with their parent/guardian approval because your video will be viewable by the public.
- The prize will be awarded to the group named as the entrant.
- Previous groups that won in this competition can participate each year.
- Competition not open to colleges, universities, or institutions beyond secondary level.
What can I win?
- Overall winner will receive €2,000
- The winning video entry can be an individual a school or a youth group.
- Critics’ Choice Award will receive €1,000
- The judges will award this to an outstanding entry to recognise it for reasons that they will determine, depending on the entry itself.
- Each category winner will receive €500 as follows:
- Age 8-12 winner prize for Individual category – €500
- Age 8-12 winner prize for Group category winners – €500
- Age 8-12 winner prize for School category winners – €500
- Age 13+ winner prize for Individual category – €500
- Age 13+ winner prize for Group category winners – €500
- Age 13+ winner prize for School category winners – €500
Honourable Mentions: To be determined at the discretion of the judges
What should my video be about?
Your 2 minute video must answer this question: “How do you know what is real or fake online?”
There are more reasons than ever before to question what we see online: whether it’s a news story with a surprising headline, a video that can’t possibly be real, a strange pop-up or a peculiar message from a friend or complete stranger.
While the internet is a great resource, it’s getting harder to tell who and what we can trust online. That puts all of us at a greater risk of trolls, hackers, deceptive advertisers, people spreading false information; encouraging bad behaviour online and of course; strangers that want to befriend us.
I have never made a video before, where do I start?
Here are some resources to help you get started:
YoungIrishFilmMakers (supporters of the ‘What’s Your Story?’ competition) YoungIrishFilmMakers
Digital Stories – tips and advice to get started on that film
I need music and images for my video, so what’s okay to use?
Respecting copyrights and others, means that you need permission to use other people’s music, company/brand logos, images and photos. Below are some good sites that might be helpful for you.
- Bensound – popular royalty-free music site
- FreeSoundtrackMusic – most are free, but some are not
- Natentine – royalty free music, some free some are not
- Musopen – music whose copyright has expired. So mostly the music of classical composers.
- Unsplash – photos, mostly taken outdoors
- Realistic Shots – more photos, of many things
- Digital Stories – Sound Resources
What language can I use in my entry?
All video entries must be in the English or Irish language.
Top reasons to participate
- Get your film in front of an international panel of judges, including top technology companies like Twitter and Facebook. It’s free to enter.
- Get seen – there are endless possibilities as to where your video could end up.
- Showcase your story-creation skills in a competition focused on shaping the way people use the Internet.
- Win thousands in cash!
- Be part of a really important cause.
How to get started
- Watch winning videos from past years.
- Read through the competition rules to make sure you’re eligible.
- Think about how you can integrate your submission into your existing personal or class work.
- Listen to what’s being said in the media, among your friends, and by experts about how people use the Internet. How much of this is the truth? Are these discussions helping or hurting the cause of making the Internet a great place for everyone?
- Talk to your friends about the issues they see in using the Internet, social networks and technology devices.
- Plan out the video and make sure you address this year’s question. Videos will be judged on creativity, appropriateness and effectiveness.
- Decide on your promotion plan. Create your video and get the word out there – views matter in this competition. It’s not enough to make a great film. It’s important to be an advocate for your message too.
- Follow us on Facebook: TrendMicroEurope Instagram: @trendmicroiskfeurope Twitter @TrendISKF_IE and be part of the conversation using the hashtag #WYS2022
What should I upload?
Your video must be:
- your own original work
- submitted in one of the following formats: .wmv, .mov or .mp4
- a minimum of 30 seconds to a maximum of 2 minutes in length
- a maximum of 100 MB in size.
- respectful of copyrights and of others. Make sure you have permission to use other people’s music, company logos, images, or photos. For more tips on this, check out our Resources
I am a teacher/youth leader, can I upload multiple entries to the site?
Yes, you can upload a maximum of 30 entries per group.
I am a parent, can I upload multiple entries to the site?
Yes, you can upload a maximum of 3 entries.
What do I do after I upload my video ?
Get the word out to your friends and family! Winning this competition includes getting people to view your video, as well as the input of the judging panel. So don’t waste time. Once your video is up on the competition site, just get the word out however you usually do. The sooner the better!
Really important: You have to be logged onto the website to comment on entries.
How will the video be judged?
Winning videos will be selected based on number of views, as well as scores assigned by an objective, independent panel of judges scoring on:
- Creativity: style, message delivery, Execution (50%)
- Appropriateness: on topic/theme (25%)
- Effectiveness: clarity of message, persuasiveness (25%)
When does the competition end?
You must submit your video by 11:59:59 PM GMT Jan 10th 2023.
People can view and comment on your video until 11:59:59 PM GMT on Jan 17th 2023.
How will I know if I’ve won anything?
You will be contacted on/after Feb 7th 2023 if you are a winner.
Who needs to register on the competition site?
Anyone can view videos during the competition, but if you want to enter the competition or comment on someone else’s video, you need to register on the site directly or using social login.
Who do I contact for help?
Have a question not answered here, or a comment about the website or competition? Contact us.