Trend Micro’s 2021 What’s Your Story? Video Competition is now closed – it is an annual online youth campaign offering youth a voice about the exciting opportunities and indeed challenges that we all face when we are online. Below were the rules of the 2021 competition.
If you do not accept these Rules, please do not enter the Competition.
By taking part in the Competition you are agreeing to these official rules (“Competition Rules”).
“We” and “Us” mean Trend Micro EMEA Limited, and we sponsor the What’s Your Story internet safety education programme and the Competition. We are an Irish limited liability company (number 364963) and we are at IDA Business & Technology Park, Model Farm Road, Cork, Ireland.
“You” means a person, – or youth Group (such as a youth – film or drama school, or youth clubs) wanting to enter the Competition. You also means someone who takes part or appears in an Entry. It is the responsibility of the entrant to make sure that each participant is made aware and accepts these Competition Rules. This means that if you submit a video, please make sure that all of the actors (who are called “participants”) and their parents (where the participants are under 18) are happy for you to agree to these Competition Rules. We recommend that you have all participants review these Competition Rules.
Create and upload a 2 minute video answering the following question and share with as many people as you can. Entries with the highest views will be shortlisted for our judges to decide the ultimate winners of 2021.
Create a video answering this question:
“How did the internet help you get through this past year?”
This past year, we needed the internet more than ever – to entertain us, connect us, and learn. This inspired us to ask you how the internet has helped you get through a difficult year. Did you use it in different or new ways? Did you love being on it more or did you get tired of it? Did your relationship with the internet change in any way? Did you learn anything about the role of the internet in your life, the lives of others, or the world around us?
So how did the internet help you get through this past year? If you have an answer then tell us your story. Be funny. Be dramatic. Be creative. Whatever you do, be real.
Create a two minute video to answer this question for a chance to win one of our great prizes. Use live action, stop action, animation, original music or none. Once your video is ready to be shared, get out there and spread your message far and wide. Promote it to your family, friends, classmates, communities and everyone you know!
Once we have checked that your Entry meets the Competition Rules we will post it online for others to view and comment on. Entries with the highest complete views will become our finalists. A video that is viewed in its entirety is considered a “complete view”. A panel of independent Judges will then select the winning Entries.
The Opening Date for uploading entries is 9th February 2021 and the Closing Date for uploading entries is 20th April 2021.
There will be a Public Viewing Period when Entries can be viewed on the What’s Your Story website. On the website, your Entry/the Entries can be liked (clicking the heart button) and commented on by the public until 4th May 2021.
The Final Judging Period begins on 6th May 2021.
You must be a legal resident of Ireland at the time of entry into the Competition.
All Individual Entrants and people participating in the Group Entrants category must be at or below secondary level in Ireland.
With respect to Individual Entrants in Ireland, the Competition is open only to legal residents who are eight (8) years of age or older at time of entry.
Parent’s consent required – if you are under the age of 16 on the date of entry into the Competition, then you must obtain your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission to participate in the Competition. Your parent or your guardian will receive an email asking for their consent. They need to respond to this email and give their consent before you can continue to enter the Competition.
If any potential winner is under the age of 18, any prize may be awarded in the name of the winner’s parent or legal guardian. Your parent or guardian must agree and sign a legal release (“Release Agreement”) and/or any other document(s) that we reasonably request before you are entitled to any prize.
Our employees or their families or anyone connected with the promotion or organisation of this Competition or their families are not allowed to enter the Competition.
You promise that all information that you give us is true, accurate and complete in every respect and that you are eligible to enter the Competition.
Your Entry must be your own original work and you must you have permission to use any music or content that you did not create.
(a) your video must be between 30 seconds and 2 minutes long, no larger than 100MB and only in .mov or .mp4 or .wmv file format;
(b) the video must be your original, previously unpublished work, and must not infringe any third party copyright or trademarks, breach privacy, or any other third party rights;
(c) the video content must not be discriminatory, obscene, offensive or defamatory.
– Your Entries must be in English or Irish language.
– There is a limit of one Entry per Individual Entrant.
– Entries must be received by the Closing Date. No substitutions of any Entry with new versions will be accepted under any circumstances once the original Entry is submitted for consideration.
– Entries which violate any of these requirements will be deemed ineligible to be included in the Competition and your Entry will be disqualified.
-We reserve all rights to disqualify you if your conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the Competition.
If you win, we can, at no cost, use your name, region of residence and likeness as part of the Competition for reasonable publicity in any form including on our Website and on social media.
As a requirement of the Competition, you grant to us a permanent right to use your Entry, for example, by posting it on the internet and social media, copying it, publishing it, editing or adapting it. You also allow us to grant the same rights to other carefully selected organisations so that they can use your Entry for educational purposes without seeking further permission from you.
We promise that we shall never use your Entry for commercial purposes.
A prize is available for the overall winner and for each of the category winners as follows:
Overall winner prize –€4,000 – (This could be an Individual Entrant- or a Group Entrant).
Age 8-12 winner prize for Individual category – €1,000
Age 8-12 winner prize for Group category winners – €1,000
Age 13+ winner prize for Individual category – €1,000
Age 13+ winner prize for Group category winners – €1,000
-Prizes are limited to one prize per Winning category.
-If we do not receive enough eligible Entries, or if the Judges consider that not enough Entries are good enough to award all or any of the Prizes, then some or all of the Prizes may not be awarded.
-Prizes will be paid in the form of a cheque payable to each winning Entrant or to their parents or legal guardians if they are Minors.
– The prize winners shall be solely responsible for any required or applicable local taxes, and the reporting consequences thereof, and for any other fees or costs associated with the applicable prize.
– You will be disqualified if you use automatic voting software and/or vote swapping websites.
– When the Public Viewing Period ends, the top three Submissions from Individual, School and Group Entrants from each age category will be chosen (a total of Eighteen Entries). These will be the “Potential Finalists”.
– Potential Finalists are chosen based on the number of views per Entry. For clarification the competition has 2 age categories (8-12yrs and 13+yrs), and within these age categories there are two further categories – Individual, and Youth Group. For each category the Sponsor will choose 3 finalists. There will then be one category winner for each of the 2 categories in the age group. Meaning there are four (4 ) category prizes in total. The Potential Finalist in a particular category that has the highest score from the judges will be awarded as the overall winner. This overall winner therefore could be an Individual, School or Group.
-If you are chosen as a winner you will be required to sign and return the release agreement prior to being declared a winner. The release agreement requires you to confirm that your Entry complies with the Competition Rules and also to formalise the agreement that gives us the right to use your Entry, referred to in the section headed ‘Ownership of Your Entry and Copyright’.
– If you are under the age of 18, the release agreement must be signed by your parent/legal guardian.
-If you do not sign and return the release agreement within three days of being formally requested, or if we don’t receive them within that time period for any reason we will have no liability to you.
-If you have broken any of the Competition Rules you may be disqualified. If that happens we will appoint someone else as a winner in your place.
The Judges will take account of your creativity (style, message delivery, execution, etc.) the appropriateness of your Entry (on topic, etc.) and how effective you have been in putting across your message. Of course, there is no right or wrong answer, so the Judges will be using their personal judgement. The Judges decision is final and not open for review or subject to challenge.
We aim to notify all winners mid May 2021. If you are one of the winners, we will use the contact details you have provided to get in touch with you and let you know the good news.
Before we can confirm any winner we will need to verify your eligibility. If we decide someone is not eligible to be a winner for any reason, our decision will be final and binding and not subject to challenge.
– We shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by the potential winner for any reason. If any potential winner does not respond within the time specified in the notification, or if any winner notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to a potential winner, such potential winner will forfeit his/her prize and an alternate winner may be selected based on the results of the aforementioned judging criteria. If any potential winner is found to be ineligible or if he/she has not complied with these Competition Rules or declines the prize for any reason, such potential winner will be disqualified and the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner based on the results of the aforementioned judging criteria.
– We may at our sole discretion disqualify you if you are found to be tampering or interfering with the entry process or operation of the website, or to be acting in any manner deemed to be disruptive of or prejudicial to the operation or administration of the Competition.
– Our decisions are final and we shall not open into any correspondence with any entrant concerning any aspect of this Competition.
– Other than for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, so far as is permitted by law, we exclude all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense, whether direct or indirect, howsoever caused in connection with the Competition or any aspect of the Prize. You are entering this Competition at your own risk.
– These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of Ireland. Disputes arising in connection with this Agreement shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish courts.